usb camera configuration

Joseph Hall joseph at thatworks.com
Tue Jul 13 13:30:59 MDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Brett Rasmussen
<brett.rasmussen at twoedge.com> wrote:
> All,
> I've never hooked up a camera before, but I figured it would be just like
> other usb storage devices which I've just plugged in and looked in dmesg for
> a device file which I would then mount.  That's not working this time.
>
> I have a Fujifilm Finepix J38, and when I plug it into my Kubuntu 9.10
> machine, here's what shows up in dmesg:
>
> [5786177.644071] usb 5-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and
> address 2
> [5786177.811300] usb 5-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

My old camera showed up and mounted as a regular storage device, no
problem. My newer camera doesn't show up like that; I actually have to
start gthumb (or F-spot, if you prefer, and I don't) and import photos
from there. I don't like it, but I've gotten used to it.

Give it a try?

--
Joseph
http://blog.josephhall.com/