Modern Partimage

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Fri Jan 29 16:33:04 MST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 02:05:00PM -0700, Dave Smith wrote:
> A few years ago I used partimage to make disk images of Linux and
> Windows boxes to manage a dozen computers, and it was great. I used it
> to keep a "gold" snapshot point to which I could restore for software
> testing purposes.

For Linux, I prefer using a kickstart script and doing a reinstallation
each time.  If you have a local mirror, this can often be much faster
copying over an image bit-by-bit, but the real benefit of it is being
able to easily upgrade to a newer version and/or make configuration
changes.  Having a script that installs and configures a system is much
more reliable than trying to remember what you did 6 months ago.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/