who needs used emails?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Jan 25 19:38:24 MST 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:33:47 -0700
"Daniel C." <dcrookston at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Doran L. "Fozz" Barton
> <fozz at iodynamics.com> wrote:
> >> The sender is not responsible for anything he mentioned in this
> >> e-mail. Please take his words on your own risk.
> >
> > What the?!
>
> I always think it's funny that these go at the END of the email, so
> you don't get to them until you've already read what they might not
> have wanted you to.

When the second Continental Congress met, the British were able to
intercept mail between the delegates and their homes, including some
between John and Abigail Adams, some of which was rather intimate even
by our modern standards. The British published some of these in New
York newspapers, which then circulated across the nascent states.

The story is told that one of the delegates, quite scandalized, asked
Benjamin Franklin if he had read one such letter. Franklin replied that
a gentleman does not read another gentleman's mail no matter where he
finds it.

Then again, one should not depend on the whole world having Benjamin
Franklin's discretion.