tricky booting challenge

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Jan 22 17:24:26 MST 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:00:28 -0700
Scott Jones <sanchiro at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem is that with this one old drive with compressed 98se, it
> will only boot up if it is posititioned as hdd 1 in the system. I
> can't have it as the secondary drive or as primary with the other as
> 2ndary. I'd like to figure out how to get grub to 'see' the
> compressed drive and boot it up, and include it as a boot option, so
> that both physical drives along with all 3 OS's installed are
> accessible and bootable.

Mess-DOS, Windows and Windows NT must all be on the first drive in order
for it to boot. I have never seen any of those have a problem with some
other drive in the system.

What you need is a BIOS that will boot to the second drive. Then you
need GRUB on that drive with entries for the first drive. I know that
works with GRUB 2 (because that's the setup on my desktop, Ubuntu
9.10, on two SATA drives), but I don't know about GRUB 1.

Or stick the whole kazoo onto a virtual machine set to boot to the
second drive.