Recommended OpenVPN Setup

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Thu Jan 21 10:36:13 MST 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> Has anyone set this up with Windows clients? Care to share what you did?
> Did you use the OpenVPN windows GUI, or Windows' built-in client? What
> tutorial did you follow to setup the server?

I love OpenVPN. We use it all the time for LAN-PC and LAN-LAN vpns.  I
love how flexible it is.  You can go from a 3 line config to one
that's much, much more involved.  Here are some things to consider:

TCP or UDP?
UDP is usually better. No need to layer TCP over TCP.

Routed or bridged?
Routed is usually better, bridged is usually easier.

Authentication?
Password is easy but less secure, key based is better but takes more
work, both FTW.

Should vpn clients be able to talk to each other?
They don't by default.

Should systems on the LAN be able to talk to the clients (or just the server)?
Might need to setup routes if the OpenVPN server is not the gateway.

Once you know what you want, it's pretty easy.

For Windows, we use the exe that comes with the driver, OpenVPN and
GUI all wrapped into one.  For Macs, we use TunnelBlick.  For Linux,
we use... well it's distro specific :)  I can *almost* get
NetworkManager to work with my ca, cert, key and password.  Maybe it
works now; I haven't tried in a while.

Good luck!

Gabe