Serial Port Expansion Card for Linux?

Matt Nelson matt at frozenatom.com
Wed Jan 13 08:43:53 MST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Levi Pearson <levipearson at gmail.com>wrote:

> Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:16:26 -0700
> > Kenneth Burgener <kenneth at mail1.ttak.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Has anyone successfully used a serial port expansion card with Linux
> >> (specifically Red Hat)?  What brand and model did you use?
> >>
> >> I was thinking something like this would work great, if it would be
> >> correctly recognized by Linux:
> >>
> >>   SIIG Four 16650 serial port I/O card with 4-port (DB9)
> >>   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150141
> >>

> > Linux should recognize that, as the AT hardware specified up to four
> > 16650s. But I can't say from actual experience or reading the source.
> >
> > Something else to watch for: the actual 16650 had, if I recall
> > correctly, an eight byte fifo for each direction. Later versions have
> > larger fifos. The larger the fifo, the longer the chip can go between
> > interrupts without loosing data. I don't know if your application will
> > require the larger fifos, but it's something to keep in mind.
>
> I actually did the embedded software for a device that included a serial
> concentrator, and it ran Linux.  At the time, I had to hack the serial
> driver to get it to use all of the 16650s available on our board, but I
> think that later kernels may have made the hack unnecessary.  I'm afraid
> I don't remember for sure, as it's been a long time.
>
> But anyway, as long as the card presents itself as a bunch of 16650s,
> you should be able to make it work with Linux with some amount of
> work, hopefully not including hacking the serial driver. :)
>
>                --Levi

Depending on your budget you might just want to get a few of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812101118&cm_re=usb_to_serial-_-12-101-118-_-Product

we have used quite a few of these in our datacenter with newer servers that
don't natively have serial ports and they have worked great.