Serial Port Expansion Card for Linux?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Jan 12 21:46:20 MST 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:16:26 -0700
Kenneth Burgener <kenneth at mail1.ttak.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone successfully used a serial port expansion card with Linux
> (specifically Red Hat)?  What brand and model did you use?
>
> I was thinking something like this would work great, if it would be
> correctly recognized by Linux:
>
>   SIIG Four 16650 serial port I/O card with 4-port (DB9)
>   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150141

Linux should recognize that, as the AT hardware specified up to four
16650s. But I can't say from actual experience or reading the source.

Something else to watch for: the actual 16650 had, if I recall
correctly, an eight byte fifo for each direction. Later versions have
larger fifos. The larger the fifo, the longer the chip can go between
interrupts without loosing data. I don't know if your application will
require the larger fifos, but it's something to keep in mind.