Network Control

Scott Jones sanchiro at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 16:09:53 MST 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Joel Finlinson <joel at finlinson.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Joe C <v2joecr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Since the clients are all Windows (or Macs), you can use a free filtering
> client from www.getk9.com (by BlueCoat Systems) on each machine.
>
> We also have a device similar to Bob, but we only use it on the TV.  It's
> called TV Allowance. ( http://www.tvallowance.com/ )
>
> It's pricey at $99/unit so I've never put one on a computer.
>
> I'm thinking if it was put on a monitor, a kid would easily just get a
> different monitor.....or for that matter, a kid could easily boot up any
> CDROM based Linux version and bypass getk9 (or any other client-based
> filtering product too.  I've also used DansGuardian in the past which
> worked
> pretty well.

I have to ask. I used a popular filter a few years ago and it 'felt' like a
rootkit when it started acting strangely. I went to remove it and try
something else and it was IMPOSSIBLE to remove. I think I ended up just
reloading XP on that machine after reformatting. Is this sort of trouble I
had a few years ago behind us? Do these programs necessarily require such
entanglement in my XP installation to work effectively? I know my boys are
inventive and when motivated they'll dig and hack to great lengths.

Scott