Network Control

Grant Shipley gshipley at
Thu Jan 7 12:29:23 MST 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Scott Jones <sanchiro at> wrote:

> I have a small home network with three young male users, ages 10 to 14, and
> two adults.
> It's becoming increasingly necessary for me to implement some type of
> network access control, based on merit, behavior, homework, etc. I need to
> be able to prescribe time controls as well as allow and revoke network
> logon
> and internet access privileges when local or remote. Moreover, the server
> runs ubuntu, while the three end user machines for these three gentlemen
> run
> windows XP pro. I'd like to have all their logons and time logged in
> loggable and controlable.
> Am I dreaming here, or are solutions possible to allow management of this?

Call me old fashion but .... what about just trusting them to follow the
rules?  If they break the rules, just take the computer away for a period of

Please don't take that as me trying to give you advice on how to be a
Father, cause it's not intended as thatl.  I just think because we are
*linux geeks*, that when we want to impose some restrictions on people, the
first thing we think of is --- there has to a open source solution for this.