disk burn in testing

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 11:50:45 MST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Mike Lovell <mike at dev-zero.net> wrote:
> recently, the topic has come up of do
> we need to do more burn in testing on the disks.

I'm getting flashbacks to the "military efficiency" I saw at Ft.
Eustis.  Have disks that you've tested been failing prematurely at an
unacceptable rate?  Or does some middle manager just want another
bullet point on his resume about improving hardware testing, so he's
trying to waste company resources to make himself look better?  Of
course no middle manager would ever do that, and I'm attributing to
malice what can adequately be explained by some combination of too
little education and too much spare time.

But if it is someone looking for resume bullet points, you could
discourage stupidity and give the PHB what he wants at the same time.
It sounds like you've got some homework to do here.  Once you find out
what the facts are (whether you need more or less testing), make a
recommendation to your PHB and let him feel like whatever you decide
was his idea all along.  Everyone wins.

-Dan