Google wants to upgrade iProvo

Bart Whiteley bart.plug at
Wed Feb 10 11:26:42 MST 2010

Google is interested in deploying fiber-to-the-home broadband with 1
gigabit per second speeds to selected communities in order to
experiment with next-generation broadband applications and deployment
techniques. [1]

They have put out a request for information (RFI) [2] to identify
interested communities.  Since Provo already has the fiber build-out
(more or less) complete, I wonder if Provo would be a compelling
candidate for Google to consider.  Perhaps they could partner with
Veracity (the current stewards of iProvo).

Google is requesting information from both local governments, as well
as community groups.  [3]  I think PLUG, as a community group, should
respond to the RFI.