ISP Recommendations - [Review of RapidWave Net Performance]

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Tue Feb 9 13:13:21 MST 2010

On Tue, February 9, 2010 08:32, Corey Edwards wrote:
> Ryan Simpkins wrote:
>> Has anyone on rapidwave figure out how to access the Canopy "subscriber
>> module" stats?
>
> They're available via HTTP, TELNET and SNMP (v2c only!). Whether you'll
> be able to or not depends on the configuration of the radio. The default
> SNMP community string is Canopy. There is no password unless one is set.
> You can grab the SNMP MIBs here.
>
> http://motorola.wirelessbroadbandsupport.com/support/online_tools/
>
> What kind of stats are you hoping to monitor? I can possibly point you
> at the correct OID.

Thanks Corey.

The problem is that I don't know the IP of the subscriber module. I tried
accessing it via the default IP (following the instructions in the canopy
subscriber module manual). No luck. I was hoping someone may have gotten some
advanced information out of rapidwave that would help.

There is a pin-out in the manual that will reset the module to the default
network settings and no passwords (while retaining all other settings). Since
I don't own the module, I'm pretty sure rapidwave would not enjoy me fiddling
around with it. So, that is not really an option.

One item as a follow-up. I contacted rapidwave tech support regarding the
performance I was seeing. They indicated that my average performance is above
their desired threshold of <14ms round-trip to the gateway. They upgraded the
firmware on the subscriber module this morning. Performance actually got a bit
worse. They are dispatching a tech tonight to take a look at the installation.
After rapidwave ensures the connection meets their best effort, I will re-test
and post the results.

-Ryan