Heterogeneous File Sharing Recommendations?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 15:15:22 MST 2010

Kimball Larsen wrote:
> I've grabbed the above and tinkered - but can't get anything to
> connect.... does MacFusion support shared keys? I can't find anywhere
> to set it up to use them, and the *cough* documentation *cough* for
> MacFusion is ... well... slim on details.

MacFusion is merely a GUI wrapper around MacFuse that make fuse
connections and then tells Finder about them so that icons appear.  As
for ssh keys, MacFusion supports them if the underlying fuse file system
does, which is sshfs.  And sshfs does support keys, the same keys that
normal ssh supports.  So if you set up your normal ssh keys, MacFusion
will automatically use them.  That means your keys should be in
$HOME/.ssh.  Also there's a nice built-in utility on OS X called
ssh-agent (CLI versions on Linux as well) that has a GUI that can make
it easy to manage SSH keys.  See
http://www.bartbusschots.ie/blog/?p=491

Typically if you have MacFuse (separate from MacFusion.app, available
from google code) installed, MacFusion just works.  Not sure why it's
not working for you.