dropping wireless link

Stephen Ward sjward at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 08:14:06 MST 2010

> When I boot into Gentoo and run the init scripts or run the net-setup
> command I get connected to my AP no sweat. But the link only lasts
> between 15 seconds and an hour before all of a sudden iwconfig reports
> that I'm not assocf

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, so take it for what it's worth...

I had a (somewhat) similar problem just this past weekend.  I was
installing Gentoo from the minimal disc.  Every two minutes or so, my
WIRED connection would drop.  It was very strange.  I couldn't find
any errors in dmesg or the system log.  I just suddenly had no IP
address.  I found that unplugging the cord and plugging it right back
in would restore my connection within a few seconds.  Talk about
adding tedium to an already tedious installation process! :)

During the configuration of the kernel, I decided to compile the
network card driver directly into the kernel (not as a module).  Why
not, right?

Once I had the kernel compiled and all the rest of the essential
system stuff installed, I rebooted.  Lo and behold, the network
connection came up and stayed up!!

Who knows if compiling the driver directly into the kernel made any
difference?  Beyond testing that theory, I would either look around
for different drivers or switch to some other distribution.

Good luck!