Heterogeneous File Sharing Recommendations?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 16:58:20 MST 2010

Brad Zobrist wrote:
>> Is Samba really my best option?
>
> Likewise-CIFS is an alternative.
> http://www.likewiseopen.org/cifs.php
>
> I know of one nas vendor that is replacing their Samba/Winbind stack
> with Likewise, they have had really good experience with stability and
> scalability.
> I haven't had the time to test it yet but if you are a window 2008
> shop they already support SMBv2.

Thanks for sharing that.  Looks very interesting.  The server software
is GPLv2 it appears.  Do you know if it can act as a domain controller?
  The specs do not say, although they say it can act as a domain member.

The AD-compatible stuff in Samba 4 is what I'm anxiously waiting for.
Here's hoping, as Windows 7 machines in a lab will likely work best with
an AD system, as opposed to the old NT4-domains I've used before with Samba.