Heterogeneous File Sharing Recommendations?

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 20:56:21 MST 2010

On 2/3/10, Kimball Larsen <kimball at kimballlarsen.com> wrote:
> Thanks - this is helpful, though possibly not a viable alternative for my
> environment.  I forgot to mention the relative computer skill level of some
> of my users.  While I use shared keys and ssh / scp most of the time to
> throw files around on our network, the other users range in level of
> competency from someone who can get around a little in a shell to people who
> confuse their mouse with their sewing machine foot pedal.

Well, you could setup sshfs, apparently this is availiable on OS X and
windows too:
  http://pqrs.org/macosx/sshfs/
  http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-28919.html

Sshfs seemed a little buggy last I tried. When I tried working
directly on an Sshfs mounted partition it seemed to occasionally
forget changes. If it is just used to copy files around this probably
wouldn't be an issue (and who knows, maybe this has been fixed by
now).

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted