Heterogeneous File Sharing Recommendations?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Feb 2 20:06:58 MST 2010

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:29:22 +0800
John McCabe-Dansted <gmatht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/3/10, Kimball Larsen <kimball at kimballlarsen.com> wrote:
> > What other methods are there out there for simple file sharing on a
> > private lan?

> Personally I find ssh the easiest way of sending files around. On
> Ubuntu/Debian setting up a ssh server is as simple as:
>     sudo aptitude install openssh-server
> Presumably it is similarly easy to set it up on RedHat etc.

You may want to tweak the setup a bit, but that's easily done in a text
file or two.

> Personally, I set "PasswordAuthentication" to no in
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config, which means that only clients that have access
> to a trusted private key can ssh in. This is a bit harder to set up,
> so you may want to just make sure that your passwords are hard to
> guess.

Setting up public key auth is as simple as getting the users' public
keys onto the servers so they can log in, and verifying the correct
permissions. One public key per user you expect them to use.

Using passwords means the passwords are sent over the net using weak or
no encryption. Public keys themselves are not sent over the net.
Instead, one-off tokens are sent.

Also, once you have the public keys set up, the user can
ssh/scp/etc. onto the server without ever giving a password, which is
convenient. This allows automation, such as scripted backup at midnight.

Also, many programs now operate on top of ssh, and public key auth
means they don't require the user to enter a password. rsync, amanda,
etc.

I use public key auth on my home network out of laziness more than out
of security concerns.