Heterogeneous File Sharing Recommendations?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Tue Feb 2 18:28:55 MST 2010

At work we have several linux servers, a few (1 or 2 kicking around) windows boxen, and a bunch of macs.  For our file sharing needs on the lan I've historically just set up a samba share or 2 on one of my linux servers and things have just worked.

Today they stopped just working.

I would bore you with the nitty-gritty details of OS X's new hatred towards the particular samba config I'm using, but I think that is ancillary to the question I really want to ask:

What other methods are there out there for simple file sharing on a private lan?

My requirements are simple: I want all the computers on my lan to have easy access to a centralized share (i.e., support for windows, OS X, and linux clients).  I want this share to be hosted on one of my linux servers so it will integrate more easily with my backup system.  I don't care much about security - sensitive stuff is not stored there - more like "hey, I need those latest images" or "can you put up that disk image so I can burn 20 copies", etc.  I only really care that you can't see this share unless you are on the lan, as I pretty tightly control what devices are allowed on the lan in the first place.

Is Samba really my best option?
Is NFS more viable (how's windows support?)
Should I pursue a netatalk setup?  Will this work for my windows clients?
Is there something else I've not heard of that I really should try?

Thanks!

- Kimball
http://www.kimballlarsen.com