Internet connection

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Dec 31 17:24:08 MST 2010

Russ, please reply to the list so we keep a record in case anyone else
see this problem, and also so other folks can pitch in if they know
something I don't (a vast domain). Thanks

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 15:29:14 -0700
Russel Caldwell <caldr704 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Wired? Wireless? Chipset? Driver? Ubuntu 10.4 "good buddy" or Ubuntu
> > 10.10 "mendacious meerkat"?
> >
> > I know wireless doesn't work. When I plugged it in to a wired
> > connection it
> didn't seem to work either.

What do you mean by "didn't seem to work"? Did you get a link light on
both the computer (assuming it has one; most do) and the switch? Did
the link lights agree on the data rates (i.e. both agree that the
connection is, say, gigabit)?

If you got a link light, did you get an IP address? "ifconfig" for that.

Hmmm, that's interesting. The wired and wireless stuff should not have
hardware or drivers in common, which makes me wonder if Network Manager
is crashing. Run this command now, and note the results:

ps aux | grep Network

My results look like:

root at dragon:~# ps aux | grep Network
root       928  0.0  0.1  19252  1784 ?        Ssl  Dec26   1:10 NetworkManager
root      2746  0.0  0.0   4012   744 pts/2    S+   17:10   0:00 grep --color=auto Network
root     22085  0.0  0.0   2296   468 ?        S    Dec28   0:00 /sbin/dhclient -d -sf /usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-dhcp-client.action -pf /var/run/dhclient-eth1.pid -lf /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient-fd700ea5-35ec-44b1-ba7a-d200380ccce7-eth1.lease -cf /var/run/nm-dhclient-eth1.conf eth1
root at dragon:~#

(That may be horribly mangled by unwarranted line wrapping.)

Network Manager is running. The next line is the grep command that is
running. The third line is a dhcp client running at the behest of
Network Manager.

Next time the network stops working for you, run the same command
again. If NM has crashed, it probably won't be there, or will show
zombie status, or some such.

> I'm sorry but I don't know how check the
> driver or the chipset. Ubuntu 10.04

First you need to know the name of the device. "lspci" E.g. I have:

02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Controller (rev 81)

So I would look for the Intel wireless' driver. Unfortunately, the
names of the drivers don't always agree with the names of the device.
You can make some guesses. For example, it might have "intel" in the
name. It might have 2200. (In my case, it does. ipw2200. But it's not
really obvious.

"lsmod | less" will give you a complete list of all the modules you are
running at the time.

In any case, ask on the list with your output from lspci. Someone may
have waded across this swamp already.

> > rmmod foo && modprobe foo
> >
> > where foo is the name of the device driver module.
> >
> > How do know what the driver module is?

See above.