How to optimize a RAM-only (swapless) system?

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Wed Dec 22 10:26:11 MST 2010

<quote name="John McCabe-Dansted" date="Wed, 22 Dec 2010 at 20:28 +0800">
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 1:35 AM, AJ ONeal <coolaj86 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The bugs I've already been bitten by is that if you have no swap the kernel
> > will default to sending the oom (out-of-memory) killer on any random process
>
> One thing I have found quite useful is compcache. This allows you to
> use compressed ram a swap-device. It doesn't need a physical disk and
> has zero latency so it avoids many of the disadvantages of physical
> swap devices. It tends to give a 4:1 compression ratio, though I
> wouldn't recommend a compressed ram swap device much larger than 50%
> of ram or so.

Very interesting. So theoretically, by using 1/3 of your memory as
compcache, you essentially double your ram...

I wonder if the compcached portions of ram can then be swapped out to
disk, or rather I wonder what happens when you use compcache and regular
disk swap.
--
Von Fugal