How to optimize a RAM-only (swapless) system?

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 05:28:01 MST 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 1:35 AM, AJ ONeal <coolaj86 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The bugs I've already been bitten by is that if you have no swap the kernel
> will default to sending the oom (out-of-memory) killer on any random process

One thing I have found quite useful is compcache. This allows you to
use compressed ram a swap-device. It doesn't need a physical disk and
has zero latency so it avoids many of the disadvantages of physical
swap devices. It tends to give a 4:1 compression ratio, though I
wouldn't recommend a compressed ram swap device much larger than 50%
of ram or so.

http://code.google.com/p/compcache/

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted