Gitting Backwards

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Mon Dec 20 14:22:48 MST 2010

<quote name="Von Fugal" date="Mon, 20 Dec 2010 at 10:59 -0700">
> <quote name="Charles Curley" date="Mon, 20 Dec 2010 at 10:13 -0700">
> > On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 09:22:24 -0700
> > Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> wrote:
> >
> > > <quote name="Charles Curley" date="Sat, 18 Dec 2010 at 21:57 -0700">

> > > There are also often "tags" that will denote a particular version in
> > > the past. You can also checkout by the tag name. e.g. "git checkout
> > > release-1.2.0" if the actual tag read "release-1.2.0". You can list
> > > tags with "git tag -l".
> >
> > Right. There are no tags where I want to go back to. Otherwise, a good
> > thought (and cleaner than creating a branch).
>
> Well, technically (as per the instruction in the thread) you're not
> creating a branch, though you could do that. What you end up with when
> checking out by a hash code is going "headless", though sometimes, yes
> it is called a headless branch.

My sincere apologies. I reviewed the original suggestion and it *did*
include a "-b my-new-branch" in the instructions. So in fact a new
branch was being created, I just missed it. In fact the checkout could
be done without creating a branch, which is what I assumed, but probably
not the best idea.
--
Von Fugal