Gitting Backwards

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Mon Dec 20 14:04:27 MST 2010

<quote name="Charles Curley" date="Mon, 20 Dec 2010 at 12:54 -0700">
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:59:41 -0700
> Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> wrote:
>
> > Well, technically (as per the instruction in the thread) you're not
> > creating a branch, though you could do that. What you end up with when
> > checking out by a hash code is going "headless", though sometimes, yes
> > it is called a headless branch.
>
> <rant>This is one reason I have come to hate git. If the user isn't
> creating a branch, then don't use the branch creation syntax to do it.
> Use the branch creation syntax, and people who aren't git gurus (most
> of the world) will make the forgivable mistake of thinking they've
> created a branch. git has become the Kabbalah of CVSs.</rant>

But "git checkout ..." is not a branch creating syntax... Only with the
-b switch does it create a branch. Which was very much my point. When
you checkout a commit you're not branching, you're checking out. A
_typical_ checkout _selects_ a branch, true (and with -b creates it),
perhaps this is the source of the confusion.

Which is why I like to preemptively mitigate any such arguably semantic
errors in gitdom. They may be semantic, but when the paradigm becomes
clearer, understanding progresses in leaps and bounds.
--
Von Fugal