Gitting Backwards

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Mon Dec 20 10:59:41 MST 2010

<quote name="Charles Curley" date="Mon, 20 Dec 2010 at 10:13 -0700">
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 09:22:24 -0700
> Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> wrote:
>
> > <quote name="Charles Curley" date="Sat, 18 Dec 2010 at 21:57 -0700">
>

> > > It will do. Thanks
> >
> > There are also often "tags" that will denote a particular version in
> > the past. You can also checkout by the tag name. e.g. "git checkout
> > release-1.2.0" if the actual tag read "release-1.2.0". You can list
> > tags with "git tag -l".
>
> Right. There are no tags where I want to go back to. Otherwise, a good
> thought (and cleaner than creating a branch).

Well, technically (as per the instruction in the thread) you're not
creating a branch, though you could do that. What you end up with when
checking out by a hash code is going "headless", though sometimes, yes
it is called a headless branch.

I would recommend tagging your repo there or maybe creating a branch
there, just in case you do want to jump around.
--
Von Fugal