dropbox-like file drop app on web server?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 05:49:36 MST 2010

On 12/19/2010 10:54 PM, Robert Merrill wrote:
> Could FTP help? Even as your transport layer? Amazon S3?

Our current solution uses FTP (sFTP) but this is not ideal.  We have
collaborators all over the world and we don't want to have to deal with
accounts on our system for each of these individuals.  We'd rather let
the owners of the files give out temporary urls, set up drop zones, etc.

Storage and protocol aren't the issues (we have plenty of space).  What
is the issue is easily allowing our users to place files in a
dropbox-like web site that we host, and grant controlled access to
external users.  Hope this makes sense.  So any third-party services
aren't what we're looking for.