echo -e '\a' fails on Ubuntu 10.10

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Dec 6 09:33:09 MST 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 08:46:19 -0700
Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> wrote:

> Are you sure there's nothing in alsa? Both my laptops have a "Beep"
> slider in alsamixer, all the way to the right side. It likes to be all
> the way down by default, and fedora likes to reset all my sound junk
> to default all the time, highly annoying... I'd rather have your
> ubuntu problem and solve it once, than have fedora reset things for
> me all the time! (My other laptop is ubuntu)

Thanks. I just checked again, and even hit F5 (all) before doing so. No
luck. Alsa bug?

(I can't help noticing that "alsa" is an anagram of "alas".)

> Also, I can't get the beep to work on my fedora laptop at all atm.
> But I know that alsamixer slider has gotten me console beep in ubuntu
> before. Still, I think that would apply equally to virtual terminals
> and xterminals, so you got me there. I've already disable pulse and
> done some other strange things on this laptop, so I'm not highly
> motivated to find my beep.

I *think* alsa operates at the hardware level. If so, yes, it should
operate on both xterms and the virtual terminals.

<rant>I'm all for layering one's code, and one of the failures of
Windows is that M$ forgot to layer their code. But methinks in some
areas, Linux now has too many layers, and it appears sound is one of
them. Somewhere out there is something we're all missing, in some other
layer. Gnrrrr!</rant>