echo -e '\a' fails on Ubuntu 10.10

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Mon Dec 6 08:46:19 MST 2010

Are you sure there's nothing in alsa? Both my laptops have a "Beep"
slider in alsamixer, all the way to the right side. It likes to be all
the way down by default, and fedora likes to reset all my sound junk to
default all the time, highly annoying... I'd rather have your ubuntu
problem and solve it once, than have fedora reset things for me all the
time! (My other laptop is ubuntu)

Also, I can't get the beep to work on my fedora laptop at all atm. But I
know that alsamixer slider has gotten me console beep in ubuntu before.
Still, I think that would apply equally to virtual terminals and
xterminals, so you got me there. I've already disable pulse and done
some other strange things on this laptop, so I'm not highly motivated to
find my beep.

Von Fugal
--
Von Fugal