echo -e '\a' fails on Ubuntu 10.10

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Sat Dec 4 21:22:52 MST 2010

On Sat, Dec 04, 2010 at 07:15:39PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:

> It is checked and that is not helping. Thanks

I just tried playing with this on my machine.  To get a terminal bell, I
had to check "Terminal bell" in the profile (as you have already done),
and then fixed the settings in Sound Preferences.  Specifically, under
the Sound Effects tab, I raised the Alert Volume and changed the Sound
Theme from "No sounds" to "Default".  I now get a old-school Mac-style
alert sound when I run "echo -e '\a'".

Does it help to double-check your Sound Effects settings (Alert Volume
and Sound Theme)?

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/