echo -e '\a' fails on Ubuntu 10.10

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Sat Dec 4 17:21:04 MST 2010

On Sat, Dec 04, 2010 at 12:29:25PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> I have other sounds, such as audio output and the beeps in the sound
> effects portion of the sound preferences control app.
>
> I do not get any sound with the command echo -e '\a' either in gnome
> terminal or terminator. Nor do I get any sound when I do things that
> should cause a bell in emacs.

The '\a' is sent from echo to the terminal emulator, so it's
gnome-terminal or terminator that would be responsible for making the
sound.

> Any thoughts on how to turn those sounds on?

If I go to Profile -> Profile Preferences in gnome-terminal, one of the
options is "Terminal Bell", which I have unchecked. If you check this
box, does it help?

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/