echo -e '\a' fails on Ubuntu 10.10

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Dec 4 15:35:49 MST 2010

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:16:52 -0600
Scott Edwards <supadupa at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think alsa can emulate that but I don't recall the specifics.

I found a setting in gconf-editor that lets you specify a sound file
which it will play for a bell. That, alas, didn't
work. /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/bell_custom_file

I also looked at the alsa mixer, but nothing jumped out at me.

I shifted to a console, and logged in as root. There the bell works
correctly. So its somewhere in this monstrous stack of gooey stuff
above the console.

Thanks.