echo -e '\a' fails on Ubuntu 10.10

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Dec 4 12:29:25 MST 2010

I have other sounds, such as audio output and the beeps in the sound
effects portion of the sound preferences control app.

I do not get any sound with the command echo -e '\a' either in gnome
terminal or terminator. Nor do I get any sound when I do things that
should cause a bell in emacs.

I installed the pcspkr kernel module to no avail.

I can find lots of advice on the net on how to turn the thing off. I
want to turn it on.

Any thoughts on how to turn those sounds on?