Obligitory Christmas Geek Wish List Thread

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 14:03:46 MST 2010

On 12/03/2010 01:44 PM, Von Fugal wrote:
> <quote name="Ryan Simpkins" date="Fri,  3 Dec 2010 at 13:23 -0700">
>> So, how about it? What are you hoping Santa stuffs your stocking with
>> this year?
>>
>> The Galaxy Tab and the 9.7" Kindle DX are on my want list.
>
> Does kindle understand a convertible format? That is, if I get certain
> free ebooks that may be in some more obscure format, is there a format
> understood by the kindle into which I might convert any ebook/html/pdf,
> which also has tools available in linux to (reliably) do so?

*The* ebook management and conversion tool for me on any platform is the
wonderful open source calibre.  http://calibre-ebook.com/

I believe that the kindle lets you drop books on it via mass storage.
My ebook reader, a hanvon 516f running openinkpot, also works primarily
via the usb mass storage interface, or by removing the sd card.

As long as the book has no drm, calibre will convert it from anything to
anything pretty reliably.  I prefer epub to mobi on my reader, but mobi
is well-supported.