Debian->CentOS

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Mon Aug 30 19:56:50 MDT 2010

<quote name="Aaron Toponce" date="Mon, 30 Aug 2010 at 19:14 -0600">
> This includes much more than just the Debian Way versus the Red Hat Way,
> but it's valuable:
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Rosetta
This will be great study material.

> Some nuts and bolts:
> - /etc/sysconfig/ in CentOS vs /etc/default/ in Debian
This is a gem. Looks like sysconfig has way more than just 'default' too.

> - The terminal is moved from Applications -> Accessories in GNOME to
> Applications -> System Tools in CentOS.
I'll probably just use run to get 'uxterm -r', I can't stand default
terminals.

> - /etc/rc.d/ is the default directory for runlevels and init scripts in
> CentOS (/etc/rc.d/init.d/ versus /etc/init.d/, /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/ versus
> /etc/rc2.d/, et cetera).
This is very heplful too, and easy to remember.

> - /etc/sysconfig/network is where you set the hostname in CentOS versus
> /etc/hostname on Debian.
> - /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* is where you setup ip
> addresses, etc versus /etc/network/interfaces in Debian.
> - CentOS ships SELinux
Hrmm, I hope there's not too much involved with that. I am clueless about
SELinux.

> - yum versus apt, rpm vs dpkg, yadda yadda
Yeah yeah.

> --
> . o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
> . . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o
> o o o   . o .   . o o   o o .   o o o

o o o .   . o o .   o . o .   . . o o   . . . o
. . . .   . o . .   . o o .   . o o .   . o o o

:)

Von Fugal
--
Government is a disease that masquerades as its own cure
-- Robert Lefevre