Debian->CentOS

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 19:14:54 MDT 2010

On 08/30/2010 06:57 PM, Von Fugal wrote:
> I have an interview this week with TNI (Noni juice) in which I will be
> performing 'tasks' on CentOS. I don't know CentOS, but I am a debian
> genius. Is anybody here familiar with both debian and centos that can
> give me some pointers on what differences to be particularly aware of,
> maybe a cheat sheet I can study? This is for sysadmin stuff, btw.

This includes much more than just the Debian Way versus the Red Hat Way,
but it's valuable:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Rosetta

Some nuts and bolts:
- /etc/sysconfig/ in CentOS vs /etc/default/ in Debian
- The terminal is moved from Applications -> Accessories in GNOME to
Applications -> System Tools in CentOS.
- /etc/rc.d/ is the default directory for runlevels and init scripts in
CentOS (/etc/rc.d/init.d/ versus /etc/init.d/, /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/ versus
/etc/rc2.d/, et cetera).
- /etc/sysconfig/network is where you set the hostname in CentOS versus
/etc/hostname on Debian.
- /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* is where you setup ip
addresses, etc versus /etc/network/interfaces in Debian.
- CentOS ships SELinux
- yum versus apt, rpm vs dpkg, yadda yadda

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o