UPS Recommendations

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at
Thu Aug 26 13:31:35 MDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 01:11:22PM -0600, Tyler Harmor wrote:
> Having had several UPS' fail on me over the years, I can agree with that
> statement at it's core.  The problem with it however, is if not UPS (battery
> tech), then what?  Unfortunately, there aren't many viable options available
> out there today (short of having a diesel generating on standby next to your
> garage).

Thanks for pointing out that I was being unclear.  If the battery fails
and there's a black-out, then the UPS can't do anything but fail.
However, in the case I was referring to earlier, the UPS failed when
there was still AC power available.  The stupid thing turned off because
the battery was having a problem, even though it didn't actually need to
use the battery at that time.  I've seen this several times with APC
UPSes.  Hopefully they've fixed this design problem in newer models.

Andrew McNabb