pros/cons of xml database

edfelt at gmail.com edfelt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 13:19:30 MDT 2010

Sorry if this is more detail than anyone wants. I come from a database and web background so I have pretty strong opinions on this. I actually am employed supporting MarkLogic for the Church. I normally only go with open source software for any project but nothing compares to MarkLogic for speed, supportability etc...  There is a "community" license available to try it out or use it for small not profits. Apache group uses it for their searchable mail archive.  The only strange thing (and this is for speed I think) is that it has a built in web server. So it is a document server, searchable database, application server and xml data store (with full support for xpath and xquery) all wrapped up in one. I think traditional relational dbs will always be important, but for huge document data stores, XML is the future. Although JSON (which MarkLogic supports) does show some promise and may be the large textual data set storage format of the future or at least the text data exchange format of the future with document exchange still done in XML since browsers support XML and JSON will probably never provide any display capabilities.
- Ed Felt
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T