pros/cons of xml database

Wade Preston Shearer wadeshearer.lists at
Wed Aug 25 11:17:31 MDT 2010

On Aug 25, 2010, at 07:46 AM, Spencer Gibb <spudgibb at> wrote:

The LDS Church uses Marklogic ( - xml
database) for content applications (, It is
commercial. If you are working with hierarchical data or xml (or some
subset such as xhtml) is can make sense. It scales well and allows
manipulation of the xml without bringing it into memory. I don't know
much about open source xml db's. (In fact, I don't know much about
The Church using it is actually what prompted me to look into what it is and why it would be selected.