pros/cons of xml database

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Wed Aug 25 09:52:49 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 09:04 -0600, Corey Edwards wrote:
> Back to the OP's question, the logic of an XML database escapes me.
> Seems like somebody wanted to score high in buzzword bingo.

Don't think data, think documents. If you're collecting reasonably
predictable data that fits nicely into a relational database, there's no
reason to use an XML database. However, if you're working with documents
like training materials, order forms, invoices, news articles, ancient
poetry, or anything else with a complex or variable schema, an XML
database could help you to slice and dice those documents more
efficiently.

I haven't made the leap to using an XML database for work, but I've come
close at times. So far, the pull of old fashioned revision control has
been stronger.

--
Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org>