pros/cons of xml database

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 09:36:22 MDT 2010

On 08/25/2010 09:19 AM, Richard Esplin wrote:
> XML databases like Mark Logic and eXist are aware of the structure of
> the XML content stored within the database. This makes it easier and
> faster to do queries based on the underlying structure of the data
> then would be possible in a purely relational system.

Good explanation, Richard.

I still think "XML database" is a poor name.  Reminds me of people that
say they "program in XML."  That said, there are turing-complete
languages that are composed of XML tags, like XSLT... blech.

> This is especially useful when the input to the system and the output
> to the system are both XML (such as web content management). In those
> cases, storing the binary XML content in an XML database removes the
> need for transforming the content into rows in a database and then
> back into XML while preserving the ability to query based on specific
> XML properties.

Very true.  And if a transformation can get the XML to HTML for
presentation, that's pretty slick (but still makes me feel somewhat
nauseous).