pros/cons of xml database

Jacob Albretsen jakea at xmission.com
Wed Aug 25 09:26:51 MDT 2010

Quoting Joseph Hall <joseph at thatworks.com>:

> Wade Preston Shearer <wadeshearer.lists at me.com> wrote:
>> Wikipedia and Google have come up light on information about XML
>> databases. What are the reasons that one would choose this approach?
>
> I've always seen XML as more of an interchange format. It can be handy
> for swapping data between two applications that would otherwise use
> dissimilar file formats.

I'd have to agree with this.  One example that comes to mind is
VOTable for Virtual Observatory so different Astronomy reduction
programs can import / export data:

http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IvoaVOTable
http://www.ivoa.net/
http://www.us-vo.org/

> A lot of apps use XML for their configs; I kind of prefer the $name =
> value format, like Postfix uses.

Indeed.  I've had to support both OpenSSH and Tectia.  OpenSSH is very
easy to configure while Tectia (XML config file) is a bigger headache
IMHO.