pros/cons of xml database

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Aug 25 09:04:37 MDT 2010

On 08/25/2010 08:55 AM, Jonathan Duncan wrote:

> On 25 Aug 2010, at 08:48, Daniel C. wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Wade Preston Shearer
>> <wadeshearer.lists at me.com> wrote:
>>> Wikipedia and Google have come up light on information about XML
>>> databases. What are the reasons that one would choose this
>>> approach?
>>
>> Stupidity? ;-)
>>
>> (Keep in mind my views on XML are about five years out of date.)
>>

> Wade, why are you considering XML?  Or are you just curious?  I have
> heard that Google and Amazon use a non-relational type database.

This is true. They're commonly called NoSQL databases and they address
the difficulty of distributing data. Facebook released Cassandra which
is the only one I can remember off hand, but there are many other good
open source databases. Digg blogged quite a bit about their
implementation. There was a recent FLOSS Weekly episode about Riak,
which is another one:

    http://twit.tv/floss129

Back to the OP's question, the logic of an XML database escapes me.
Seems like somebody wanted to score high in buzzword bingo.

Corey