Linux Process Sampling

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Mon Aug 23 13:19:38 MDT 2010

On 08/22/2010 08:58 PM, Frank Sorenson wrote:
> Why would we have to depend on DTrace? I can think of several ways to
> do this without DTrace.  And why would we want DTrace, when we've got
> SystemTap?

Finally a useful response! Thanks Frank. :)

On Ubuntu 10.04, I tried running the callgraph tracing example here:

http://sourceware.org/systemtap/examples/index.html

But all I could produce were syntax errors.

> First, there's "gstack" (aka pstack),

I couldn't find a way to get gstack on Ubuntu 10.04. It's not part of
Ubuntu's gdb package apparently. Sounds promising, though. Any idea
where I can get it?

> Then, there's "fstack", which is a part of frysk.

I'll have to look into this one as well, though it does not appear to be
packaged in Ubuntu at the moment. I'll see if I can get source and
install manually.

--Dave