Linux Process Sampling

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Thu Aug 19 12:08:30 MDT 2010

In Mac OS X, I can use the "Activity Monitor" app to sample a process.
It shows the call tree at the moment, which is very handy to debug a
runaway process. I can find no such feature in Linux, so a co-worker
whipped up a script to use gdb to attach to a process repeatedly, dump
stack traces, and build a call tree. This works okay, but is very slow.
Mac OS X can sample a process in a few seconds. Mine can take a few
minutes (to sample it 10 times, for example).

Google turned up this, but I can't seem to download the code:

http://libetpan.sourceforge.net/sample/index.html

Does anyone have any other tools for sampling a process's call stack?

--Dave