I need help!

Frank Sorenson frank at tuxrocks.com
Tue Aug 17 21:50:45 MDT 2010

  On 08/17/2010 09:09 AM, Merrill Oveson wrote:
> Pluggers:
>
> I've got a linux gentoo box that keeps crashing.  I've fought and
> fought with it, but I'm losing the battle.

When you say "keeps crashing", are you saying it panics?  Hangs?
Reboots without warning?  And this is definitely a system-level crash,
not application-level?

How frequent are the crashes?  Anything in common between the crashes?
Anything useful in the logs or on the system console?  Can you set up a
remote system console or remote kdump?

Regarding the Linode vs. Slicehost debate, I've tried both and had a
good experience with both.  I wouldn't expect one to crash more or less
than the other, so the only real benefit to jumping ship at this point
would be to lay down a fresh set of bits for your OS install.  That's
not an extremely compelling reason to switch, although sometimes you
have to do odd things when desperate.

Frank

--
Frank Sorenson - KD7TZK
Linux Systems Engineer, DSS Engineering, UBS AG
frank at tuxrocks.com