1080p over component

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 11:57:52 MDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> wrote:
> <quote name="Levi Pearson" date="Tue,  3 Aug 2010 at 16:10 -0600">
>> In fact, from my research the ICT isn't supposed to cause audio
>> downgrade.  There's also a Digital Only token, which completely shuts
>> off analog output, but I don't think anyone's planning on using that.
>
> My understanding was that hd over compenent was still digital and not
> analog. I have my computer set up to output 720p over compenent and it
> looks absolutely amazing. Makes me want to put windows on it to play some
> classic RTS games (like TA). :) My TV is only 720p so I can't test 1080p,
> but my guess is it would work just fine, besides the blue ray problems
> mentioned. It seems really odd that blueray does that, since HDMI != HDCP
> and HDCP is pretty much dead. It's hard to even find a TV that does HDCP
> anymore, not that anyone would ever want to. There was a HUGE backlash
> from consumers over that fiasco. So basically, you have blueray
> downgrading when it's not HDMI, but HDMI isn't copy protected anyway, so
> I suppose you could buy an HDMI switch that also outputs compenent.
> blueray -HDMI-> switch -compenent-> TV. A little round about and annoying,
> but puts sony and their CRAP in their place.

Component cables (Y Pb Pr, to be exact) are analog video cables.
They're similar in principle to VGA cables in that the video signals
are separated on different conductors to prevent degradation caused by
multiplexing/demultiplexing, but the encoding on the conductors is
different than VGA.  You can get an amazing, high resolution picture
with analog VGA, so there's no reason you can't with YPbPr cables
either.

HDCP hasn't gone away, and pretty much everything that does HDMI these
days also does HDCP, excepting some PCs that don't have Windows and
the appropriate drivers.  What you might have heard is the backlash
over the Image Constraint Token which is part of AACS, the counterpart
of CSS in the BluRay world.  No one has yet enabled the ICT in their
video source material, so no current discs will be downgraded if you
play out your component ports instead of HDMI on a BluRay player.
Both CSS and AACS require HDCP when playing over HDMI, though, so if
you've got a DVD player with HDMI, it's doing HDCP.  If you have a
receiver that does HDMI switching, it understands HDCP.  It's pretty
ubiquitious.

        --Levi