1080p over component

Tod Hansmann tod at todandlorna.com
Mon Aug 16 10:49:12 MDT 2010

On 8/16/2010 10:29 AM, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> On 08/16/2010 10:22 AM, Von Fugal wrote:
>
>> [...] HDCP is pretty much dead. It's hard to even find a TV that does HDCP
>> anymore, not that anyone would ever want to. There was a HUGE backlash
>> from consumers over that fiasco. So basically, you have blueray
>> downgrading when it's not HDMI, but HDMI isn't copy protected anyway, so
>> I suppose you could buy an HDMI switch that also outputs compenent.
>> blueray -HDMI->   switch -compenent->   TV. A little round about and annoying,
>> but puts sony and their CRAP in their place.
>>
> Really?  If you're right (that HDCP is dying), that's great news, and it
> means I can start upgrading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_component_video (note Analog as well)

a) HDCP is very much on HDMI.  That's been one of the main digital
connections Intel wanted it working on.  DVI was the only longer running
connection to support it.
b) Component can be digital, but is not necessarily so.  Most TV's don't
actually support the higher range HD signals on component.
c) HDCP hasn't really been cared about much outside of Blu-Ray since
2006, but it's still used heavily in iTunes HD content, and Sony still
seems to advocate it, though I can't find any of their actual releases
that have it.  If you're using HDMI, you're pretty much protected in
this day and age anyway, though possibly not from a linux source.  There
has been some talk I recall about publishers waiting on HDCP until
2012.  Certainly enough companies have licenses:
http://www.digital-cp.com/about_dcp/list

-Tod Hansmann