UPS Recommendations

Tod Hansmann tod at todandlorna.com
Wed Aug 11 21:49:00 MDT 2010

On 8/11/2010 9:34 PM, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 20:33:12 -0600
> Stuart Jansen<sjansen at buscaluz.org>  wrote:
>

>> What's the best UPS for power hungry home server? Why?
>>

> I recommend an APC UPS. I'm very pleased with apcupsd,
> http://www.apcupsd.com/ It lets you hang multiple machines off one UPS,
> and will communicate between them, so they can all shut down gracefully
> if need be. It has a set of CGI scripts so you can inspect your UPS
> from any web browser you've given permissions to access the web server.
>
> I have a Back-UPS LS 700.

I second this recommendation and add CyberPower to the list.  We run our
storage server (13 drives, fairly beefy) on a CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD,
though at work we mixed some APC and Cyberpower stuff.  I have had some
bad eggs with Eaton and TrippLite, though the latter usually makes some
good products.

-Tod Hansmann