System only sees 8 of 16 GB of RAM

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Tue Aug 3 23:55:35 MDT 2010

Thank you for the suggestion.

Before calling Lenovo support, I decided to test each sodimm alone in the system to rule out the memory. When I saw that each one could be seen, I put them all back in and the system recognized the full 16 GB. I guess one or two sodimms were not correctly seated (though I had visually inspected them earlier).

I hope that the problem is solved.

Thanks again,

Richard

On Tuesday, August 03, 2010 23:46:10 Eric Olsen <falconv at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Any suggestions on what I should do next?
>     Call Lenovo support. They might give you the run-around because you
> didn't buy the memory with the laptop, and it may not be in the "supported
> memory" list, but you can try.
>
> I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me, but the way I
> understand it, if the BIOS doesn't see the full amount of memory, nothing
> will. Sure, each slot might be able to see 4GB, hence memtest shows 4GB each
> slot, but if the BIOS can't handle 8GB as a whole then you're out of luck.
> Since Lenovo claims it supports it, they may have a problem with their BIOS
> and will have to come out with an update soon.
>
> Good luck.
>
> -Eric
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Richard Esplin
> <richard-lists at esplins.org>wrote:
>
> > I am curious if anyone has any insight into my problem.
> >
> > My new ThinkPad W510 arrived today. Though it is a nice machine, I am very
> > annoyed that Lenovo stopped selling machines with Linux preinstalled. But
> > that is a complaint for another day.
> >
> > I ordered the minimum RAM from Lenovo, and then ordered 16 GB (4 x 4 GB
> > sodimms) off of NewEgg. I replaced the memory, and rebooted the machine.
> >
> > Facts:
> >
> > * The BIOS only reports 8GB of installed memory.
> > * Using "free", Linux appears to only see 7GB of memory--I am guessing the
> > video card has the rest.
> > * Memtest reports only 3GB of memory, but I think this is a known bug.
> > * Memtest reports 4x4GB Dimms installed. It correctly lists the brand and
> > model of each sodimm.
> > * Lenovo advertises this model as supporting 16 GB in 4 sodimms.
> > * I'm using Kubuntu 10.04 x64.
> > * I checked my BIOS version and it appears to be the lastest (1.24).
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > * How can memtest see the sodimms, but the OS isn't using them?
> > * Do I need to do something for all the RAM to appear?
> > * If one sodimm is bad, will it prevent the other one from being used?
> > (i.e. do they have to be paired?)
> > * Any suggestions on what I should do next?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Richard
<snip>