1080p over component

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 14:12:52 MDT 2010

On 08/03/2010 02:00 PM, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> 3. I've heard, although not bothered to confirm, from family and friends
> that some Sony Pictures Blu-Ray disks will not play in their non-Sony
> Blu-Ray players.

Right.  It's possible to send out "updates" to your blu-ray player that
revoke the encryption keys used on discs you may already own.  In
essence it allows content providers to unilaterally revoke your right to
view content you have already purchased.  This is, of course, in the
name of fighting piracy.  Even worse, in the future you may not be able
to play a disc you just purchased until you "update" your player's key
list, revoking some keys and adding other new ones.

> 6. If I don't "upgrade" to HDMI, then why suffer the pain of the down
> convert, when standard definition DVD is providing me a crystal clear
> picture with 7.1 audio? The 480p display is just fine.

1080p is pretty spectacular in some cases.  Watching the BBC's planet
earth series in bluray is quite stunning.

That said, I can get HD content from other places (non-physical media)
now, so I don't care so much about bluray.