1080p over component

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 14:00:59 MDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 01:27:42PM -0600, Levi Pearson wrote:
> I'm sure you'll enjoy your lack of BluRay player with all those
> reasons you have for not purchasing one.

1. The hardware is still substantially more costly than standard
definitation hardware. Both disks and players.

2. It's really not "catching on"- adoption is slow [1]. Could this be
the next SACD/DVD-A? How about 3D?

3. I've heard, although not bothered to confirm, from family and friends
that some Sony Pictures Blu-Ray disks will not play in their non-Sony
Blu-Ray players.

4. If HDMI is not used as the interconnect, not only is the video
downgraded to 540p, but the audio is downgraded to 2 channel stereo.

5. To take advantage of 7.1 channel surround sound and 1080p video, I
must upgrade my DVD player (obviously), my DLP television and my current
7.1 receiver. The cost for going Blu-Ray is significant.

6. If I don't "upgrade" to HDMI, then why suffer the pain of the down
convert, when standard definition DVD is providing me a crystal clear
picture with 7.1 audio? The 480p display is just fine.

7. I'm not interested in rebuilding my movie collection, yet again, just
for the latest-and-greatest.

For me, I don't see the advantage. So the disks are higher capacity, and
as a result, store some interactive features, extra footage, and
whatnot. Yet, I never see these features on the movies at the store.
Just the standard director commentary, behind the scenes, deleted
scenes, etc. Sure, one disk instead of two, but they're still more
costly than the standard two-disk set.

At FYE in Riverdale, they have a Blu-Ray setup advertizing it full boar.
Now, granted, the movie is playing on a 27" or 32" television, but when
I look at the screen, I don't feel that the picture is any different.
I've already got 7.1 surround sound, so it doesn't offer anything new
there. I guess I'm missing something.

I'm trying to be practical here. From my seat, it seems that Blu-Ray
would piss me off more than want me to pop popcorn, snuggle in a blanket
with my wife, and watch Avatar.

I just don't see the advantages.

[1] http://goo.gl/zDxn

--